It can be very hard to verbalize and identify what exactly defines a contemporary flower arrangement. More often than not, we know it when we see it. But in terms of laying down the exact rules to duplicate the process of creating a contemporary flower arrangement, well, that one has not yet been written.
We can however, pinpoint some basic differences between a traditional and a contemporary bouquet arrangement. Traditional arrangements tend to follow the rules of symmetry more closely. They also tend to use the more common flowers like hydrangeas, roses, tulips and daisies.
Contemporary flower arrangements on the other hand tend to bend the rules. They are more exploratory, challenging the traditional notions of beauty and symmetry. They frequently make use unusual flowers and non flower accents to create a unique piece. Contemporary designs are actually more of an art form as they strive to show a dimension of beauty or relevance that has never been seen before.
With that being said, it's much harder to give directions on how to create contemporary bouquets. What it is though is finding inspiration in the style of the day and translating that mood or that concept into your flower arrangement.
In this article, we will explore how it is to create contemporary hydrangea bouquets. Here are some things you can consider:
1. The first thing you need is to find inspiration for your arrangement. Inspiration can come from fashion, from music, from philosophy, pop culture, and even from the news. It's all about finding that one thing that excites you, or that something which defines what it is to be alive now.
2. Feel free to use unconventional materials in your hydrangea bouquet. It's all about using the most appropriate materials to represent your vision. You can explore using different materials for your bouquet holder or, in addition to you hydrangea, you can already incorporate different flowers, fruits, grass, greens, twigs, fabric, paper, or even plastic!
3. Throw out the rule book. The thing about contemporary hydrangea bouquets is the rules are not defined. You can create an arrangement based on what you think is beautiful and what you think best expresses your message. If your arrangement fits these 2 criteria, then you've succeeded in creating you contemporary bouquet.
4. Functionality is important when designing bouquets, whether they be traditional or contemporary. Do not overlook this fact when designing your hydrangea bouquets. You need to make sure they still fit the purpose for which they are created, for example, if they are for a wedding, you need to make sure they are well made, will not fall apart in the middle of the march or the ceremony, and that they fit whatever theme the couple has for their special day.
5. Invest in the harmony of the overall look. Unlike centerpieces where the flower arrangement is admired on its own, a bouquet is appraised as part of an ensemble that includes the person who is carrying the bouquet. Make sure it complements the wardrobe, the make up and the hairstyle of the one carrying your bouquet. Paying attention to these kinds of details will give your contemporary hydrangea bouquets more impact.