The oakleaf variety is white (it turns light pink when it matures), and it can be grouped together to make perfect hydrangea wedding centerpieces. Oakleaf can also serve as your day to day hydrangea flower arrangements since it is one of the most common types of hydrangeas.
Know everything about the oakleaf hydrangea (hydrangea quercifolia) – how it’s grown, how it’s being cared for, and how best to display it.
- As mentioned before, the oakleaf hydrangea turns light pink when it ages. The color varies depending on the geographical location. You cannot force it to become salmon pink or carnation pink.
- The oakleaf variety is native to the US.
- It can thrive in dryer areas, unlike other hydrangeas. It can tolerate drought and very little attention. Moreover, it is not prone to common serious plant diseases or insect problems. So, if you’re a lazy gardener, it’s best for you to stick with this type of hydrangea.
- It blooms best if you live in an area where the summer is relatively hot. The other common varieties like the mopheads and the lacecaps cannot survive too much heat.
- There are two types of commercial oakleaf hydrangeas: the single-blossom kind and the double-blossom one (Snowflake or Harmony).
- When you shop for Snowflake, do not confuse it with the flower variety called Snow Queen.
- Double-blossom hydrangea varieties have a much longer flowering season compared to single-blossom ones.
- The leaves of oakleaf hydrangeas turn orange, yellow, brilliant red, or burgundy in the fall if they are planted in areas that get a lot of sun and afternoon shade.
- The oakleaf hydrangea and the PeeGee (hydrangea paniculata) are the only types of hydrangeas that possess cone-shaped clusters of blooms. All the other hydrangeas have either ball-shaped or flat-topped flower clusters.
- Although the oakleaf hydrangea thrives in much drier soil compared to other hydrangeas, it is very prone to root rot. If the soil is soggy, its roots develop root rot even if the soil is only soggy for a short period of time. Thus, when you plant oakleaf hydrangeas, always make sure that the soil has excellent drainage.
- The look that is achieved by a flower arrangement consisting of oakleaf hydrangeas is very contemporary. Therefore, it will look good if you have a home with modern furnishings. The minimalist whiteness of the florets gives charm to black leather upholstery or industrial steel tabletops.